Here is a list of RUFDC's policies in which every member and visitor of RUFDC's games, events and website must abide by.
RUFDC Code of Conduct
1) I will play with Spirit.
I will always play fair and abide by the rules of the game. I truly believe that all my opponents are doing likewise. Therefore, rule infractions are the result of ignorance or accident, not malice, and can be easily and quickly corrected. I understand that everyone on the playing field will have a different perspective on a play and I will defer to the player with the 'best' perspective when the outcome of a play is in doubt. If I disagree with a foul called against me, I will merely say "I contest" -- the play is repeated and the game will go on.
2) I will respect my teammates & opponents.
I will be on time for my game. If my team cannot make it to the field by game time, we will notify our opponent in advance. If we don't have enough players, I will not expect the other team to match our line-up, either in number or gender ratio. I will abide by any rule changes agreed to by both captains before the game. During the game, I will always be courteous and will refrain from swearing. If I have issues with my opponents, I will let my team captain straighten them out.
I will always try to avoid physical contact with other players. I understand that "I was going for the disc" is never a valid excuse for initiating contact with another player. I will never engage in dangerous play. I understand that incidents of dangerous play will be investigated and offenders will face suspension from the league. I understand that anyone involved in a fight may be expelled from the club.
3) I will respect other users of the park.
I am the public face of the sport of Ultimate and of the Regina Ultimate Flying Disc Club and I will conduct myself accordingly. By my actions, both on and off the field, I will demonstrate to the public that "spirit of the game" distinguishes Ultimate from other sports.
I will be courteous to other users of the park. I will be proactive in redirecting a non-player who might cross the playing field during a game, rather than cursing or shouting at him/her after they step onto the field. I am a guest in their neighbourhood. I will not urinate in public. If I bring my dog to the game, I will maintain control of it at all times and will clean up after it. I will not allow it to run freely onto the playing field or to accost passers-by. I understand that if my actions, or those of my teammates, jeopardize RUFDC's access to field permits, my team faces suspension from the league, and perhaps even expulsion without refund.
4) I will respect the sport of Ultimate.
I will learn the rules of Ultimate so that I can abide by them. I will always bring a rulebook to the game so that I may have a guide on how to deal with situations on the field that I have not previously encountered. I understand that the "captain's clause" allows for variations and simplifications in the rules, but these must be agreed on prior to the start of the game. I understand that the absence of referees and the flexibility allowed by the captain's clause does not justify "anything is acceptable" or "let's just ignore that rule and play" behaviour. In disagreements, I will defer to a more knowledgeable player. I understand that if a situation arises where nobody knows what to do, the fairest thing to do is repeat the play.
5) I will respect the playing field.
I understand that playing fields are a critical resource and require protection. I will not risk damage to a field by playing on it when it is wet and soft. I understand that fields are most vulnerable in spring and will stay off them until the ground is sufficiently dry. I will not litter. I will check the playing field for garbage and other hazards before my game starts. I will leave the field in better condition than when I arrived by picking up garbage left behind by others and, if necessary, filling in holes. I understand that if my actions, or those of my teammates, jeopardize RUFDC's access to field permits, my team faces suspension from the league, and perhaps even expulsion without refund.
6) I will inform RUFDC of game related problems and opportunities.
I will communicate to RUFDC any problems or issues my team and I encounter so that they may be dealt with and the club improved. I understand that RUFDC will only investigate and deal with problems that have been formally reported via the on-line Incident Reports, an email account of the incident to the executive or result from low reported spirit scores. I will report issues related to "spirit of the game" (e.g. dangerous play, fights, defaults). I will report field problems (e.g. holes, garbage, permit conflicts with other groups). I will report injuries suffered during the course of my game.
7) I will abide by all RUFDC policies.
Membership in the Regina Ultimate Flying Disc Club confers some rights and privileges, but also certain responsibilities. Actions which are disruptive to the club or which infringe upon the rights and privileges of other members will result in the withdrawal of privileges or perhaps expulsion from the club and/or the retention of your performance bond.
As a member of the Regina Ultimate Flying Disc Club, I agree to abide by all club policies. I understand that these policies are there for the benefit of all members, including myself, and address a variety of issues such as community relations, player safety, spirit of the game, and league structure & administration. I understand that violations of these policies will be investigated and disciplinary measures will be applied to my team.
In the interest of player safety, I will not play during bad weather (i.e. lightning storms, heavy rain) and will not engage in dangerous play or physical altercations. In the interest of protecting fields, I will not play on a soft or soggy field. In the interest of maintaining good community relations, I will not consume alcohol or recreational drugs at the field, nor will I urinate in public, litter, or allow my dog to run free except in off-leash areas. I will abide by all league rules, especially those concerning registration and playoff eligibility. If, after due process, I or my teammates are found in violation of one of these policies, I will accept RUFDC's disciplinary actions, which may include suspensions and/or expulsion from the league and/or the club.
In order to deal fairly and transparently with incidents of poor spirit, overly aggressive play and other problems, this discipline policy has been developed for Regina Ultimate Flying Disc Club (RUFDC) league teams and players. The overriding objectives are to maintain a fun and safe atmosphere at all games and to maintain good relationships with our field providers and the public. Participation in a RUFDC league or tournament signifies acceptance of this policy. This policy complements the “Code of Conduct” and applies whenever you are representing RUFDC, which means the whole time you are at the playing field -- before, during & after your game.
There are several guiding principles. First, when discipline is warranted, the actions undertaken must be objective, noticeable and timely. This means that incidents will be investigated and resolved in a timely manner and if sanctions are applied, they will be communicated to everyone concerned. Second, teams are collectively responsible for the actions of their members and, if warranted, sanctions will generally be applied to the whole team. This means that each team captain should choose his/her teammates with care and ensure that all are aware of the “Code of Conduct”. Repeat offenders will be dealt with more harshly than first time offenders given their full awareness and understanding of the implications. Third, very serious incidents, as specified below, may result in immediate expulsion.
RUFDC Discipline Policy
1. Team captains must:
- know the rules of Ultimate and bring the rulebook to each game
- understand the RUFDC policies outlined here and ensure that their teammates are aware of them
- meet with the opposing captain before each game to clarify rules (captain’s clause) and other issues which may become problems
- take action immediately to defuse the situation upon becoming aware that tensions are rising
- in their absence, appoint a Co-Captain to administer the above responsibilities
2. It is the responsibility of team captains to report incidents of poor spirit and dangerous play to their league convenor (or tournament director) as soon as possible via email. Unreported problems will not be investigated.
Poor Spirit & Dangerous Play
3. Offensive and/or unsportsmanlike conduct, (e.g. taunting, name calling, swearing, issuing threats) will not be tolerated. Overly aggressive and/or rough play (e.g. intimidation, charging into stationary players, repeated fouls) will not be tolerated either. If reports of such behaviour are received and found to be valid, the following steps will be taken:
- First report - player and/or team receives a formal written (or email) warning
- Second report - player and team receive a second warning and the game in which the incident occurred is forfeited
- Third report – player and/or team is suspended from RUFDC league(s) and event(s), per the discretion of the League Executive. Player and/or team can also be expelled from RUFDC by special meeting of the general membership, as called by the Executive. The names of players and teams expelled will be listed on the RUFDC website.
The Regina Ultimate Flying Disc Club reserves the right to suspend or expel a player or team from the Club (league) without prior warning and without a refund.
4. Anyone who throws a punch or is involved in a fight, whether as instigator or retaliator, will be suspended from the Club (league) immediately without refund and considered for expulsion.
Additional sanctions may be applied to the instigator’s team.
5. Dangerous Play may also include the playing of a game with an exposed and bleeding wound. Failure to leave the field and properly bandage the wound before returning is considered dangerous play. Furthermore, continued play after a serious injury (i.e. large cuts, shortness of breath, heavy blow to the head) with the expressed concern of teammates and/or opponents, is also considered dangerous play.
6. Any team involved in an incident which results in the loss of a field permit may be suspended from the Club (league) without refund and considered for expulsion. Such incidents will most likely involve complaints by the public in regards to improperly parked cars, excessive noise and profanity, drinking alcohol, loose dogs, rudeness, and urinating in public.
7. The consumption of alcohol and recreational drugs is not allowed at the fields, whether before, during or after a game. Any team involved in such an incident may be suspended from the Club (league). Repeated incidences will be considered for expulsion.
8. Be considerate of the playing field. For your team’s safety, pick up all trash before the game, especially shredded cans, broken bottles & sticks. Before leaving, make sure that both teams have cleaned up their sidelines and “stooped & scooped” (if appropriate).
9. Teams which play on an unauthorized field may be suspended for one game on the first offence and expelled from the league on the second offence. Regardless of whether or not RUFDC has obtained a field permit, you are playing on an unauthorized field if:
- the ground is so soft/soggy that playing will ruin the field; or
- the league convenor has officially cancelled the game in accordance with the rain policy; or
- the property owner has prohibited RUFDC from using the field or green space.
10. Default: Teams that default twice in a season without reasonable notice will be considered for suspension from the league without refund. To avoid a default, it is necessary to notify the opposing captain and league executive at least 24hrs in advance that you cannot field a full team for the game and ask to reschedule it at a later time.
Definition of Terms
11. Suspension: a player or team that is suspended will not be eligible to participate in any RUFDC leagues, events, or programs for a period of time as defined by the League Executive. Should the time period extend to the end of the membership year the suspended player or team must seek Executive approval to renew their membership.
12. Expulsion: a player or team that is expelled is no longer eligible to participate in any RUFDC leagues, events, or programs.
RUFDC current constitution can be found here - RUFDC Constitution